Since this blog is really for us to learn new things, connect with people, and just remind us of things that we would most likely forget later in life, we thought we’d jot down our baby must-haves for the first six months. We are not baby experts in the slightest; but we definitely know our baby better than anyone… and what she liked (and didn’t like… er, tummy time.) Many of these items were gifted to us; otherwise, we probably wouldn’t have felt inclined to spend the coin… or learned the value of investing in these items– we used/ use them everyday!
1. Boon Drying Rack. We opted for the larger size (13″ x 11″ x 2.5″) and are glad we did because the grass pad fills up fast. Cool design, so I don’t mind it always sitting on the counter. $25
2. UPPAbaby Cruz Stroller + Graco Infant Car Seat Adapter. Not sure how it is for other parents, but picking out a stroller was overwhelming for us! There are so many options and varying features to every brand and model. We already had an awesome hand-me-down jogging stroller (which we used post 6 months), so we were looking for something compact, easy to collapse, sturdy, and with ample storage. Loved the reversible seat option. (It does not include a snack tray or cup holder, but you can buy various convenience attachments, if desired.) The Graco Infant Car Seat Adapter easily snaps-in and the stroller folds with adapter attached. (Peg Perego, Maxi-Cosi, and Chicco adapters are also available.) The Cruz has exceeded all desires. Not cheap, but we use it everyday. Stroller: $460 | Adapter: $40
3. Digital Video Baby Monitor by Motorola. We have the 2.8″ screen, but a 3.5″ screen is now available. Derek researched many monitors and this one had great reviews. Features include room temperature display, LED alerts for noise level, two-way communication (which we seldom use), five lullaby tunes (which we never use). $180
4. Yoga Ball. We already had one of these before baby, but we never used it as much as we did the first 4 months of Mya’s life! She preferred a soft bounce on the ball over rocking. (Now it’s different, but this was a must for her life’s beginning.) Prices vary, but at the most $25
5. Infant Slumber Buddy by Summer. I’ll never forget when we brought Mya home from the hospital and we all went to her room for the first time. Derek turned on her butterfly slumber buddy and it played a tune while I swayed her around the room. Tears of total joy– one of the best moments of my life. (#sappymom) Thanks to those few minutes, I will probably find myself forever wanting to keep this toy. (I also used this every nighttime diaper change, as the LED projection was enough light for me to see what I was doing; and it wasn’t too bright, making it easier for Mya to fall back asleep. Winning.) $25
6. Relax Melodies HD App. Mya listens to white noise while sleeping– a sound combination of river and ocean is her heavenly bliss. She probably doesn’t need it (like she did when super small), but we keep it running on an old phone because it is soothing. Free
7. Aden + Anais Bamboo Swaddles. Let’s be clear here: our baby didn’t care for the swaddle– she would houdini her arms out of there within a blink. But we would still drape them on her while sleeping. These bamboo blankets are a nice, light weight, yet keep your babes cozy warm. $45 (set of 3)
8. KicKee Pants Footies. These clothes are oh-so-soft and the footies are perfect pjs. Warning: they run small. You can usually find them on sale at VonMaur or direct. (Um, I just saw that they have women’s sizes?! Mya and I probably have to get matching outfits.) Prices vary, approximately $25
9. Medela Breast Pump. The Medela brand was suggested at our breastfeeding class. We opted for the Metro Bag arrangement because you can remove the pump from the larger bag, making it easy to carry by itself and set-up anywhere. $280
10. EuroBath by Primo. Mya’s always loved the water. This bathtub is inexpensive and uses far less water than your actual tub. We still use it every night! $25
Whether you’re registering for your own baby or shopping for others, we hope our top 10 list was helpful! What are some of your baby faves?